Welcome to Advent’s event page. We are a small congregation, but we love to share our space with all kinds of organizations while holding some of our own as well. We hope to see you at some event that piques your interest.
In and Around Advent:
- Sept. 3 (SUN), Loa Bennett wrote a wonderful Prayers of the People which she will read during Sunday Worship.
- Sept. 4 (MON)- Have a safe and blessed Labor Day. Open Door Ministries and Church of the Advent is closed for the holiday
- Sept. 9 (SAT)- Community Garden and Block Party, 1-4 pm on Stanton Ave between Oak and Taft streets. Take home fresh produce from a Community Garden, activities for children, a speaker who will address Food Waste in America, and more. This will coincide with another community party put on by the Walnut Hills Neighborhood Coalition nearby. You can have fun at both.
- Sept. 12 (TUE) OPEN HOUSE of OPEN DOOR MINISTRIES, 4-6 pm. We’re going to share stories about Open Door, how it started, and what’s happening now. Come and celebrate with us as we head closer to our 45 year mark anniversary of serving the community of Walnut Hills.
- Sept. 14, (THUR) Walnut Hills Neighborhood meeting at Bush Recreation Center, 6 pm.
- Sept. 16, (SAT) The Diocese gathers at Procter to explore the story of Exodus and to celebrate congregations that “exodus” out of their building into their neighborhoods to make a difference.
- Sept. 17, (SUN) 11:30 am, EXODUS, a discussion about the spiritual exodus that can happen when suddenly you are deprived of all that you know about yourself.
- Sept. 19, (TUE), 7 pm, Vestry Meeting. These are open meetings if you are interested in seeing a behind scenes look at church administration (which includes a short study).
- Sept. 21, (THUR) 6:30 pm at Advent – Walnut Hills Faith Alliance will meet. Awesome group! Join us, you won’t be sorry.
- Sept. 27, (WED), 6:00 pm, Community Dinner for our neighbors (Volunteers arrive at 5:30 pm)
Stitchery Group meets every Tuesday at 10:30 at Advent. Women and men who spend time doing any kind of fiber arts, or want to learn knitting or crochet, are welcome. We have one friend who does none of those things, but has been untangling a hellish mess of orange yarn and we are grateful.
Bible Study – meets every Wednesday from 10:30 – 12:00. We have some great discussions around the Gospel of Mark. We hope you can join us.
Advent’s Choir (closed during the summer) meets on Thursday evenings at 6 pm and again at 9 am on Sunday mornings. We have a small choir, but there are some excellent singers, and awesome choir director and organist (See our Staff page).