An Adventure in Faith and Fellowship in Christ
Welcome to Church of the Advent! We are a small congregation – lively, active, and diverse, LGBT friends welcome. We are welcoming, affirming, and intentionally engaged with and in our neighborhood. We have joined with other congregations in Walnut Hills to form a Faith Alliance whose main objective is to support children and their families in Walnut Hills. We have an OPEN DOOR MINISTRY that serves those in need of a safe place to get warm, charge a phone, grab a cup of coffee, get some groceries, and a payee program available for those who need help in that area.
Below are photos of our Advent folks working with Walnut Hills Faith Alliance as we work with Douglass Elementary School to provide an updated and working library.
Worship at Advent During Covoid-19:
Worship in Advent is cancelled, but Worship continues on Facebook
We will be doing Evening Prayer at 5 pm on Sunday’s through Advent’s Facebook Page. Why the evening? With as many congregations that will be using Facebook in the morning I (Rev. Stacy) wasn’t sure if Facebook could keep up. I’m probably off on that. Anyway, this is how we are going to try it and I will make updates as things change. You can see our Facebook page button below. Please click that and join us for Evening Prayer this Sunday, March 22, at 5 pm.
Church of the Advent is located at 2366 Kemper Lane in the Walnut Hills neighborhood of Cincinnati Ohio. Check the Location Page for a map.
Ways to Help Walnut Hills during Covid-19
If you have any canned (non-expired) or dry goods, toiletries, hygiene items, and such, that you’d like to donate we are happy to share them with Open Door Ministry and any folks that come to our door who may have missed the Open Door Food Pantry Hours. You can drop them off during office hours M-R 8am-noon, or call the church office to see if Rev. Stacy is in – 961-2100. If we aren’t in, leave us a message so we can arrange a time for you to drop off donations.
Ongoing Programs at Advent
- Open Door Ministries ( A huge part of Advent’s ministry to the neighborhood).
- Advent Choir with a new Music Director, Nia McKenny.
- Advent is a part of the Walnut Hills Faith Alliance – Congregations working together to support Douglass Elementary School and their families.
- Interfaith Hospitality is a welcome guest at Advent four times a year
- We will begin our Community Dinners again in January. Served the last Wednesday of the month by Advent and other congregations or individuals that want a place to serve a meal to our neighbors.
- LENTEN PROGRAM: Will be on Friday evenings rather than Wednesdays. The program will begin at 6:30 each Friday beginning March 6 and ending April 3. Participation can take place from the comfort of your home (using Zoom) or from the comfort of our Parish Hall. The program, called “Stories of God”, will be as follows:
- Discussion around Biblical figures that talk about their experience of God.
- Sharing the God stories you heard from other people (growing up, conversion stories, near death experiences, dreams, 12 step programs, etc.)
- Sharing our own God stories.
- Sharing stories that are about how whole communities experienced God.
- Imagining the present and future God story of Advent and Walnut Hills as one Community.
Environmental issues – We’re working on being “Green”.
Old buildings can be environmentally unfriendly when it comes to wasting energy. It can also be a drain on finances. We are committed to being a “Green Congregation”. We are just one of the few Episcopal Churches that have been certified by Ohio Energy Power and Light. We are committed to continue finding ways to make our building even more environmentally friendly. Keep us in your prayers!